The non-EEA national may acquire leave under European law derivative rights principles if they can demonstrate that no one in the United Kingdom can care for the child. Therefore, the child would be unable to continue living in the United Kingdom if the non-EEA national were to leave the country.

There are also situations where a primary caretaker may acquire derivative rights when caring for an adult.

A derivative right of residence is obtained. Similarly to the standard EEA Residence Card for immediate family members, it is not required by law to possess a document confirming this right. It may be advantageous for people with derivative residence rights to apply for a derivative residence card to prove their rights. It may help to show them the following:

  • residency rights in the United Kingdom
  • permission to enter or re-enter the UK
  • employment eligibility in the United Kingdom
  • permission to rent in the UK

A derivative residence card grants you an indirect residence right dependent on another individual's right. You may apply for a derivative right of residence in the UK if you are the primary carer of an individual with the right to reside in the UK or if you are the child of the primary carer. 

This card demonstrates your right to reside and work in the United Kingdom. You are eligible for this card if you reside in the United Kingdom and are the primary carer of an individual with the right to reside in the United Kingdom, the primary caregiver's child, or the child of a former EEA worker who is enrolled in school, college, or university in the United Kingdom. 

If you are a resident of the United Kingdom, you do not need a derivative residence card, but it can be helpful for the following reasons:

  • You can re-enter the United States without delay when returning from a trip abroad.
  • You can use the card to demonstrate to employers that you have permission to work in the UK.
  • You can prove to the appropriate authorities that you can reside in the United Kingdom. 

If you wish to continue living in the UK, you and your family can apply for an EU settlement scheme. Being a primary carer means you are a carer or share the responsibility equally with another person, and you are their legal guardian or close relative. You cannot apply for this card outside the United Kingdom but can apply for an EEA family permit. The EEA derivative residence card is issued to non-EEA nationals on various grounds and indicates that their right to reside is derived from EU law.

Derivative Residence Card Requirements:

When Applying as a Primary Carer:

  • Passport, adoption certificate, or birth certificate evidence of current immigration status
  • Documentation demonstrating their dependencies on you, such as caregiving obligations and court orders
  • Documents proving your residences in the UK, such as utility bills, bank statements, or lease agreements.
  • Evidence that the self-sufficient children are citizens of the EEA, are autonomous financially and have full health insurance in the UK.

When Applying as a Child of EEA National 

  • A letter from your school, college, or university proves your education continues in the UK.
  • For example, a letter from your school, university, or college and a tenancy agreement or utility bill from your parents proves that you received your education in the UK. In contrast, your EEA parent was a resident of the nation.
  • Evidence, such as pay stubs or a letter from the parent's employer, demonstrating that your EEA parent was employed in the UK while you were there
  • Biometric data of people who are not EEA citizens

Parents, legal guardians, or another adult who is the child's guardian must accompany children under 16. The responsible adult must be over 18 and be named on the application form if they are not the parent or legal guardian.

Who is eligible to apply for derivative rights of residence?

A person may be eligible for a derivative right of residence in four different circumstances. The requirements and documents will differ depending on the applicant's route.

  • Zambrano Rights

You may easily qualify for a derivative right of residence if you are the caretaker of a British national child or adult. Zambrano rights apply in cases where a British national is forced to leave the EEA because the primary carer is required to leave the UK.

In 2019, a significant change was made to this route. If the option is available, applicants must now apply under UK Immigration Rules. For those applications, we strongly advise you to consult with one of our Immigration Lawyers.

  • Chen Rights

Applications for a derivative residence card under the Chen decision are possible if the child is an EEA national. The primary carer of a child who is an EEA national self-sufficient person then submits an application, where requiring a non-EEA applicant to leave the UK would prevent the child from exercising their rights.

The main distinction between Chen and Zambrano's rights is that the "sponsor" under Chen can only be a child. Second, the child must be an EEA, self-sufficient national, not a British national.

  • Ibrahim and Teixeira Rights

This subcategory of rights applies to primary carers of an EEA national child of an EEA national worker or former worker. The child must be enrolled in school in the United Kingdom. Requiring a primary carer to leave should also compel the child to discontinue their education in the United Kingdom.

  • Dependent children under 18 of primary carers in the categories above

Dependent children under 18 of primary carers in the above categories may also be granted derivative residence rights. It applies when requiring a dependent child to leave the UK and forces a primary carer to leave the UK.

  • Permanent Residence under Derivative Residence Card

Unlike other types of leave under European law, leave under derivative rights does not contribute to going for an EEA permanent residence, and migrants with such leave are not permitted to bring other dependents into the UK.

After five years, applying for permanent residency may be possible. Under the UK Immigration Rules, certain applicants may also be able to switch to the path leading to settlement. Derivative rights of residence holders may qualify for ILR on a 10-year basis after residing in the UK lawfully for ten years.

EEA Derivative Rights fees

A derivative rights residence card costs £65 per applicant, whereas a settled/pre-settled status application is currently free of charge.

Processing Times

Six months is the standard processing time for derivative rights applications. The Home Office decides most applications in 2-3 months.

Applying for EEA Derivative Residence Card

The application must be submitted using Form DRF1 and accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation based on the application route.

Our experienced team of London immigration lawyers has extensive experience with EEA applications. Contact us today to speak to us regarding your derivative residence card application. We can help with initial applications, extensions, switching, and appeals. 

How can we help you?

At "TMC Solicitors", our specialist immigration solicitors provide the best legal services to assist applicants and their families in relocating and settling in the UK. We specialise in UK immigration for non-EEA citizens because we have experience and knowledge of EU regulations. 

Whether you require expert advice on EEA regulations, an evaluation of your chances of qualifying for an EEA residency document, or assistance preparing an EEA residency application, our immigration solicitors can assist you. Our company offers the best services for applying for a permanent resident card. Our team is committed to providing EEA nationals and their families with dependable and superior immigration services. We are highly professional and friendly.

Why choose us?

At TMC Solicitors,

  • We provide a realistic and practical legal approach along with the best legal advice
  • We have several happy clients owing to our dedication and professionalism
  • You can contact us 24x7 in case of any emergency, detention, or deportation
  • We are a completely SRA-regulated law firm with a client base all over the UK and worldwide.
  • We have a success rate of 98% due to the expertise of our fantastic staff
  • We have bilingual staff to understand and discuss legal matters closely

Contact us for the best services in applying for the derivative residence card.


For Professional Information and Dedicated Help!

Get In Touch

0208 124 3222


What Is The Experience Level Of TMC Solicitors In Handling Mergers And Acquisitions?

TMC Solicitors has extensive experience in handling mergers and acquisitions, with a successful track record of assisting clients in various industries.

What If A Dispute Arises From A Commercial Contract? How Can TMC Solicitors Assist In Resolving It?

TMC Solicitors is well-versed in dispute resolution strategies and can provide guidance in resolving commercial contract disputes. We put our expertise in commercial contract law to advocate for clients' interests, protect their rights, as well as achieve the best possible outcome in contract disputes. Our goal is to minimize disruption to business operations and preserve relationships while ensuring that our client's contractual rights are upheld.

Can TMC Solicitors Assist With Employment Law Matters Outside Of The United Kingdom?

Yes, TMC Solicitors can provide assistance and guidance with employment law matters outside of the United Kingdom. We have experience in dealing with international employment issues and can offer tailored advice based on the relevant jurisdiction.

Can I Use My EEA Family Permit To Visit Europe?

A valid EU resident card issued in a member state may be visa evidence for travel to certain EU countries. However, it is always a good idea to double-check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit to obtain a visa.

What Is The Duration Of An EEA Family Permit?

A family permit is obtained for six months to go to the UK.

How Much Does It Cost To Engage TMC Solicitors For Employment Law Services?

The cost of engaging TMC Solicitors for employment law services varies depending on the specific requirements of your case. It is recommended to contact TMC Solicitors directly to discuss pricing details.

What Are The 5 Common Disciplinary Problems?

In the UK, disciplinary problems in the workplace can take many forms and can be caused by a variety of factors. However, here are five common disciplinary problems that employers may encounter: Attendance and punctuality: Poor attendance and punctuality can be a significant problem in the workplace, and can disrupt productivity and affect morale. This may include repeated lateness or unauthorized absences. Misconduct: Misconduct can take many forms, but generally refers to behavior that is considered inappropriate or unacceptable in the workplace. Examples may include harassment, bullying, theft, or unauthorized use of company resources. Poor performance: Poor performance can be a significant issue for employers, particularly if it is affecting the quality of work or the productivity of the employee. This may include failure to meet deadlines, lack of attention to detail, or failure to achieve targets or objectives. Health and safety: Health and safety is a critical concern for employers, and failure to comply with health and safety policies and procedures can lead to disciplinary action. This may include failure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, failure to report accidents or hazards, or other breaches of health and safety regulations. Substance abuse: Substance abuse in the workplace can be a significant problem, and can affect both the safety and productivity of the workplace. This may include alcohol or drug abuse, or misuse of prescription medication.

What Happens When You Get Excluded From School UK?

When a student is excluded from school in the UK, it means that they are prohibited from attending school for a certain period of time. Exclusion can either be temporary (fixed-term exclusion) or permanent (permanent exclusion).

How Much Does An Immigration Solicitor Cost The UK?

The cost of hiring an immigration solicitor in the UK can vary depending on several factors, including the complexity of your case, the specific services required, the experience and reputation of the solicitor or law firm, and the location within the UK. It's important to note that legal fees can vary significantly, and it's recommended to consult with solicitors directly to obtain accurate and up-to-date information about their fees. It's important to inquire about the specific fee structure and obtain a clear breakdown of the costs during the initial assessment with the solicitor. It is also advisable to discuss any additional expenses or disbursements, such as application fees, translation services, or courier charges, that may be incurred during the immigration process.

How Do I Appeal A University Admission Decision UK?

If you have been denied admission to a UK university you may be able to appeal the decision. Here are the general steps you can take to appeal a university admission decision in the UK. Review the university’s admission policies: Before you start the appeal process review the university’s admission policies to understand the grounds on which they made their decision. This will help you determine if you have valid grounds for appeal. Contact the university’s admission office: Get in touch with the admission office to request information about the appeal process. This may be outlined on their website or in the decision letter they sent you. Grounds for appeal: You will need to identify the grounds for your appeal which may include factual errors procedural irregularities or mitigating circumstances that were not considered in your initial application. Prepare your appeal: Once you have identified the grounds for your appeal gather evidence to support your case. This may include academic transcripts, personal statements, references and any other relevant document. Submit your appeal: Follow the university’s instructions for submitting your appeal. You may be required to fill out a form or submit a written statement. Wait for a decision: The university will review your appeal and make a decision. This may take several weeks so be patient. Further steps: If your appeal is unsuccessful you may be able to take further steps such as requesting a review of the decision or seeking legal advice. Overall, the appeal process can vary between universities so make sure to follow their specific instructions and deadline. Additionally, it is a good idea to seek advice from a legal professional with experience in education law if you are unsure about any aspect of the process.