Understanding EEA Family Permit

Anyone entering the United Kingdom as a family member of a citizen of one of the states party to the EEA agreement must have a valid EEA family permit. The European Economic Area Family Permit is meant when the acronym "EEA" is used. This permit allows citizens of third-world nations to enter the United Kingdom without restriction. The British government must issue this card. Permits issued by countries outside the EEA and Switzerland are not recognised.

Joining an EEA family member in the UK with a family permit grants you work and study authorisation for up to six months. You have unrestricted entry and exit privileges into and out of the country during this time. Victorious applicants can pass passport control and avoid being denied access immediately.

Who is eligible to apply for an EEA family permit?

If you are the spouse, child, or parent of a British resident who is an EEA national, you may be able to apply for a UK EEA Family Permit. 

If your family member is not a UK resident but plans to join you there within six months of your application, you may also be eligible for this visa.

You must meet one of the following criteria to apply for a family permit in the United Kingdom:

  • Single companion
  • Spouse or legal partner
  • A grandchild or a younger child who depends on you
  • relative who needs care, such as a child

It is important to remember that if a couple is not married, they must provide evidence that they have been in a committed relationship and living together as husband and wife for at least two years.

An EEA family permit can no longer be obtained for 'extended' family members of an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen due to a rule change.

An EEA Family Permit may also be available to you if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are entitled to "retained right of residence" status. It could be the case if your EEA spouse or civil partner left the UK, passed away, or divorced you after you both had the right to live there together.
  • You have a "derivative right of residence," a legal term. Suppose you are the dependent child of an EEA national who is no longer employed in the United Kingdom or the dependent child of a person currently residing in the United Kingdom. In that case, you may be eligible for this.
  • The Surinder Singh application process is open to you. If you have a UK national relative living in another EEA country for more than a year, you may qualify for this.

Who qualifies for an EEA family permit?

To be eligible for a UK family EEA visa, a person must meet one of the following criteria:

Family member

Those with an immediate family member who is an EU citizen and is willing to join them in the UK may apply for a visa. This person must be a British citizen's spouse, child, grandchild, or dependent parent or grandparent who is an EU citizen under age 21.

Extended family

Relatives are not blood relatives of the EU national but are otherwise related to them through marriage or adoption. Additionally, if an EU citizen and their non-married partner have lived together for at least two years, the couple may apply for a residence permit. All of the above people must provide evidence that they are economically dependent on and biologically related to an EU citizen.

Surinder Singh application

If you are a family member of a British citizen and have ever lived in the EEA with that person, you may be eligible to apply for an EEA family permit in the UK. This person should be able to exercise their treaty rights in the other EEA country. One must provide evidence of continuous residence in that other EEA state with an EU family member. Although one does not need to meet the UK-mandated income level, obtaining a visa is highly rigorous.

Derivative Right

If you are caring for a child who is a European Union citizen, a student at a UK school, and whose EU worker parent has died or left the country, you may be eligible for an EEA family permit. You must obtain a derivative residence card to establish your legal status in the UK as the carer or child of an EU citizen. Getting a permit in this location is subject to stringent requirements.

Retained right

One qualifies for the permit if they have lived in the UK with a relative who is a citizen of the EU or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK. The following likely took place:

  • The marriage ended
  • The person you married dies          

Possible Visas for British Relatives

A different type of UK visa may be available to non-EEA family members of a UK citizen or a person who has been granted "indefinite leave to remain" to stay in the country for an extended time.

In the UK, there are two primary types of family visas:

  • UK Visa for a spouse or partner If your spouse is a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you may apply for this visa. Full-time cohabitation with a UK-resident spouse is required for this visa. Applicants can ask for a visa that will last up to two and a half years, with the option to extend it for another two and a half years. After five years of residency in the UK, you can apply for settled status.
  • If your future spouse is a British citizen or has settled status in the UK, you may apply for a UK Fiancé visa. You must have met your future spouse in advance and get married within six months of the visa being issued. This visa's initial validity duration is six months. You can apply for a UK Marriage Visa after you've tied the knot.

What is the time frame?

The non-EU national should apply for an EU residence card during the six-month validity period of this permit. Upon acceptance of their application, they will be given an EU residency card to dwell in the UK for five years. The treaty rights of his non-EU family member to remain in the UK should be exercised by his EU family member. An EEA family permit holder is permitted to work in the UK for six months. If an EU citizen has been enjoying treaty rights in the UK for five years from the date of entrance, their non-EU family members are also eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in the UK.

When does a family EEA permit expire?

The validity period of a family EEA permit is six months. There is no limit on the number of times you can leave and re-enter the UK during that period.

An application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (commonly known as "ILR" or "permanent residence") can be made once the EEA Family Permit for the non-EEA UK member has been issued for a period of 5 years.

Why Us?

You can consult with one of our trustworthy and knowledgeable attorneys for assistance with your application for an EEA family permit.

The immigration lawyers at "TMC Solicitors" are among the best in the UK. Our legal staff will offer prompt, courteous service to ensure your application is processed smoothly and by applicable laws and regulations. Please contact us if you need assistance with your family permit application.


For Professional Information and Dedicated Help!

Get In Touch

0208 124 3222


What Is The Experience Level Of TMC Solicitors In Handling Mergers And Acquisitions?

TMC Solicitors has extensive experience in handling mergers and acquisitions, with a successful track record of assisting clients in various industries.

How Popular Are TMC Solicitors In The Field Of Litigation And Dispute Resolution?

TMC Solicitors is highly regarded and recognized for its expertise in litigation and dispute resolution. For our professionalism, legal knowledge, and capacity to secure favorable results for our clients, they have earned a solid reputation from us.

Can You Appeal A UK Student Visa Decision?

It is possible to appeal a UK visa decision if your visa application has been refused. However, the grounds for appeal and the process can vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case. If you receive a refusal letter it should include information on whether you have the right to appeal and the time limit for doing so. If you are eligible to appeal you will need to fill out a form and provide additional evidence to support your case. The grounds for appeal may include: Procedural irregularities: If you believe that there were errors or inconsistencies in the visa application process that may have affected the outcome of your application. Human rights consideration: If you believe that your human rights have been violated by the decision to refuse your visa. Factual inaccuracies: If you believe that the decision was based on incorrect information or misunderstanding of the facts. Changes in circumstances: If you have new information or circumstances that were not included in your initial application. It is important that the appeal process can be complex and time-consuming and there is no guarantee that your appeal will be successful. Therefore it may be helpful to seek legal advice from an immigration solicitor who can guide you through the process and help you present your case effectively.

What Are The 5 Possible Outcomes Of A Disciplinary Hearing?

In the UK, a disciplinary hearing is a formal process that is used to investigate allegations of misconduct or poor performance in the workplace. The possible outcomes of a disciplinary hearing can vary depending on the nature and severity of the allegations, as well as the specific procedures and policies of the employer. However, here are five possible outcomes that may result from a disciplinary hearing: No action taken: If the allegations are found to be unfounded or insufficiently supported by evidence, the disciplinary hearing may result in no action being taken against the employee. Verbal warning: A verbal warning is the least severe disciplinary action that can be taken against an employee. It involves a formal warning being given to the employee, along with an explanation of the concerns and expectations for future behavior. Written warning: A written warning is a more formal disciplinary action that is typically taken when the employee has previously received a verbal warning, or when the misconduct or poor performance is more serious in nature. A written warning will be placed on the employee's personnel file, and may be taken into account in future disciplinary proceedings. Suspension without pay: In more serious cases, the employer may decide to suspend the employee without pay for a period of time, pending further investigation or disciplinary action. Termination of employment: The most severe disciplinary action that can be taken against an employee is termination of employment. This may be appropriate in cases of serious misconduct, repeated poor performance, or other serious breaches of workplace policies or procedures.

What Happens When You Get Excluded From School UK?

When a student is excluded from school in the UK, it means that they are prohibited from attending school for a certain period of time. Exclusion can either be temporary (fixed-term exclusion) or permanent (permanent exclusion).

What Level Of Experience Do TMC Solicitors Have In Handling Employment Law Cases?

TMC Solicitors has a proven track record and extensive experience in handling a wide range of employment law cases. We have successfully represented clients in complex disputes, negotiations, and litigation related to employment issues.

Why Choose TMC Solicitors?

TMC Solicitors are one of the biggest and most reputable corporate and commercial law solicitors in the UK. Over the course of our many years of experience, there is a strong reputation of us in the sector. You are probably sure that you're working with an accomplished lawyer when you work with us. We have an attorney of trained and highly experienced solicitors who can assist you in obtaining the best outcome for your company.

Why Do Businesses Need Commercial Contracts?

Commercial contracts serve as the foundation for business transactions and relationships. They outline the rights, obligations, and expectations of all parties involved, providing clarity and legal protection. Commercial contracts help businesses mitigate risks, establish terms of payment, define product/service specifications, protect intellectual property, and resolve disputes. They provide a legally enforceable framework that ensures smooth operations and minimizes uncertainties.

What Is TMC Solicitors' Experience In Handling Litigation Cases?

TMC Solicitors has extensive experience in handling a wide range of litigation cases, including civil, commercial, and employment disputes. We have successfully represented clients in various court proceedings and alternative dispute resolution methods.

How Many Points Do You Need To Suspend Your License UK?

In the UK, the number of points required to suspend a driving license depends on several factors, including the type of license held by the driver, the length of time the driver has held their license, and the number of points on their driving record. For example, if a driver has held a full UK driving license for less than 2 years, they will typically have their license revoked if they accumulate 6 or more penalty points. However, if the driver has held their license for 2 years or more, they can accumulate up to 12 penalty points before their license is revoked. It's important to note that the rules around penalty points and license suspension can be complex, and may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the driver and the offense committed. Drivers who are at risk of having their license suspended or revoked should seek legal advice to understand their rights and obligations, and to determine the best course of action.